Sunday, April 29, 2012

So I have been thinking about how I am going to design the capitals for my cloister. I have a good idea how I want them to be. They need to be very simple because I will be using Styrofoam and I want the patterns to come through. Here are a few sketches I have come up with. The first is a very basic block style. The second would be a very simple outline of an angel which are featured on historiated or figured capitals. These all feature how the Roman double columns I plan to use would fit into the capitals. The figure in the bottom right corner is just a sketch of something I am not going to do, but would be awesome. The left column of the the two columns is decorated with mosaic which is seen in some more Byzantine cloisters. On the right is a twisted column. A really good example of the combination of these elements is at the cloister of the Major Basilica of San Paolo fuori le Mura.


No comments:

Post a Comment